Integrating CTE and Academic Education
This workshop helps districts and schools increase the rigor and relevance in their career and technical education (CTE) programs by showing how core academics can be infused into these programs. It also describes how academic classrooms can leverage the engaging relevance of CTE programs. The training, based in part on the International Center’s Curriculum Matrix, assists teachers and administrators in creating CTE programs that contribute to the academic success of students as measured by the state exams and that serve as motivation for students to stay in school. Participants also will learn reading comprehension strategies and techniques through the resource kit, Reading Strategies for Career Academies and Career-Technical Education, to create rigorous and relevant CTE instruction.
- Understand changes needed to integrate academics and CTE programs
- Use the CTE Curriculum Matrix to help plan instruction, design assessments, and develop rigorous and relevant curriculum
- Use reading comprehension strategies and strategic writing techniques to support rigorous and relevant instruction in CTE
- Academic Excellence Through Career and Technical Education — A Resource Kit Incorporating the CTE Curriculum Matrix (for your own specific state)
- Reading Strategies for Career Academies and Career-Technical Education
- Strategic Writing Across the Curriculum in Grades 7-12